Skip to content
search
The Scene Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have Reportedly Quit Social Media For Good

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have Reportedly Quit Social Media For Good

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have Reportedly Quit Social Media For Good
By AFP
January 11, 2021
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have "no plans" to use social media in both a professional and personal capacity

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have quit social media after growing disillusioned by the "hate" they have found on sites like Facebook and Twitter, a UK newspaper reported on Sunday.

The couple were rejecting social media in both a personal and professional capacity as part of their new "progressive role" in the United States, the Sunday Times said.

A source close to the couple told the newspaper they had "no plans" to use social media for their new Archewell Foundation and were "very unlikely" to restart utilising platforms personally. 

(Related: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Unveil Their New US-Based Non-Profit, Archewell)

Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, (L) and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive to attend the annual Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in London on March 09, 2020. - Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has been the Head of the Commonwealth throughout her reign. Organised by the Royal Commonwealth Society, the Service is the largest annual inter-faith gathering in the United Kingdom. (Photo by Tolga AKMEN / AFP)
Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, (L) and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive to attend the annual Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in London on March 09, 2020. - Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has been the Head of the Commonwealth throughout her reign. Organised by the Royal Commonwealth Society, the Service is the largest annual inter-faith gathering in the United Kingdom. (Photo by Tolga AKMEN / AFP)

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who moved to California last year after abruptly resigning from British royal duties, have previously had prominent presences online.

They amassed more than 10 million Instagram followers to their Sussex Royal account while they were working royals.

But the couple have also previously complained about their treatment on social media, as well as in the British press. 

(Related: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have Repaid £2.4 Million to British Taxpayers for Frogmore Cottage Renovation)

Meghan described past trolling of her as "almost unsurvivable" while Harry issued an unprecedented statement in 2016 denouncing "the racial undertones of comment pieces" and "the sexism and racism of social media trolls".

Last year they launched a wide-ranging non-profit organisation, Archewell, after giving up their "Sussex Royal" brand as part of the terms of their departure from frontline monarchy duties.

They have started other creative ventures, including signing a deal with Spotify to produce podcasts that tell "uplifting and entertaining stories".

The couple also signed a multi-year contract, reportedly worth tens of millions of dollars, with streaming giant Netflix to produce "impactful" films and series.

Meanwhile, Markle, a former television actress, narrated a wildlife documentary on Disney+ in 2020.

(Related: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have a New Podcast Deal With Spotify)

Tags

The Scene Royals prince harry meghan markle social media british royal family

clear
keyboard_arrow_up

In order to provide you with the best possible experience, this website uses cookies. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Policy.

close