Wellness Brands Aman Resorts, Como Shambhala, and More Share Their Recipes for Immunity-Boosting Drinks
You are what you eat—and also what you drink. Whether your vice is coffee or sweetened drinks, overconsumption can take a toll on your body. With Covid-19 still affecting people around the world, it's more important than ever to take care of your health.
In search of the best recipes to boost our immunity and improve our wellbeing, we turned to the people who know best. From refreshing juice blends to soothing teas, here are six immunity-boosting drinks you can make at home, from wellness brands Aman Resorts, Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas, Como Shambhala, Chiva-Som, and Sangha Retreat by Octave Institute.
1/6 Masala Chai by Amanbagh
An aromatic blend of tea and Indian spices, masala chai is not only a calming and warming beverage—it's also great for bodily wellbeing with its dose of antioxidants and natural caffeine. Amanbagh's concoction contains ginger, which helps to reduce inflammation, cardamom to aid digestion, as well as cinnamon and clove to boost the body's immune system.
2 cardamom pods
2 black peppercorns
5g of fresh ginger
300ml boiling water
3 teaspoons of strong tea (such as Assam)
150ml full-fat milk
Sugar (to taste)
1. Crush cardamom pods, black peppercorns and cloves to create the spice blend.
2. Add fresh ginger to boiling water, boil for one minute, and then add 3 teaspoons of strong tea and turn the heat down.
3. Add full-fat milk, boil on high for another minute then add the spice blend.
4. Boil for about a minute more until the mixture turns brown, then take it off the heat, filter the tea through a strainer, add sugar to taste, and serve.
Follow @aman for more wellness content.
2/6 Amanjiwo Afternoon Tea by Amanjiwo
Served at Amanjiwo for afternoon tea, this refreshing herbal tea helps to calm the body and settle the mind. The tea blend of citrus flavours and warm spices contains ingredients rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits to boost the body's immunity, and also aids in digestion.
5 pieces clove
5 pieces star anis
½ cm nutmeg
6 lemon basil leaves
1 slice lime
3 slices ginger
1 piece lemongrass
Honey (to taste)
1. Pound together all the herbs using a pestle and mortar.
2. Add boiling water and honey to taste. Serve hot.
Follow @aman for more wellness content.
3/6 Immunity Booster Turmeric Tea by Al Baleed Resort Salalah by Anantara
The key ingredient of this herbal tea is fresh turmeric, which contains bioactive compounds including anti-inflammatory curcumin. The substance can increase the antioxidant capacity of the body and improve brain function, help to fight depression and boosts your immune system. Antioxidant-rich honey adds sweetness and has positive—albeit modest—effects on blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
½ cup of fresh raw turmeric
¼ cup of fresh raw ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons of honey
4 teaspoons of distilled water (boiled water that has cooled)
1. Blend all ingredients until they become a well-emulsified paste.
2. After you’ve created the base, use 2 tablespoons to 1 cup of hot water.
3. Let sit for 2 minutes and add a few mint leaves for serving.
Follow @anantara_hotels for more wellness content.
(Related: These Traditional Chinese Medicine Ingredients Can Help Boost Your Health)
4/6 Liver Flush by Como Shambhala
The liver is your body's largest internal organ which performs many vital functions, including detoxification. Citrus fruits, such as oranges, lemons, and lime help the liver to activate detoxifying enzymes, which naturally flush out toxins from the body. Turmeric, especially, contains antioxidants to aid with the repair of liver cells and assists the organ in boosting bile production.
3 oranges, peeled and cut into quarters
½ lemon, peeled and cut into quarters
1 lime, peeled and cut into quarters
3cm (1¼ inch) piece ginger, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
3cm (1¼ inch) piece fresh turmeric root, peeled and sliced (or ginger)
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Put the orange, lemon and lime through a juice extractor, catching the juice in a jug.
2. Transfer the juice to a blender, add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
Follow @comoshambhalasg for more wellness content.
5/6 Immune Aid by Chiva-Som
Apple, beetroot and carrot is a much-loved combination for juices. Both apples and carrots are high in antioxidants such as vitamin A and C, which boosts the body's immunity against colds and flu. Beetroot reduces blood pressure, improving blood flow and overall cardiovascular health. The addition of ginger offers digestive benefits and helps to reduce inflammation and improve the antioxidant enzyme function in our bodies.
such1½ large carrots
15 g (½ oz) beetroot
1.5 cm (2/3 inch) piece of ginger
1 red apple
1. Juice all of the ingredients, then pour into a glass and serve immediately.
Follow @chivasomresort for more wellness content.
6/6 Watermelon Mint Chaat Masala Explosion Immune Booster by Sangha Retreat by Octave Institute
A refreshing thirst quencher, watermelon juice helps to prevent dehydration. Chaat masala is rich in iron, calcium and vitamins A and C, and together with mint, aids in digestion, prevents bad breath, and is a great source of energy and antioxidants.
1 medium-size watermelon, peeled, deseeded and chopped
1 or 2 tablespoon mint leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Sea Salt, Himalaya Pink Salt or Mountain Volcanic Black salt (pinch)
Chaat masala powder (pinch)
Ice cubes (optional)
1. In a blender, add the watermelon and mint leaves. No need to add water. Blend well.
2. Pour the watermelon juice in tall glasses and sprinkle some black salt and chaat masala from the top.
3. Add ice cubes if required. Garnish watermelon juice with some mint leaves.
Follow @sangharetreatbyoctaveinstitute for more wellness content.