Try These Simple Recipes to Make the Instagram-Famous Sushi Bake at Home
The sushi bake (or baked sushi) has only recently surfaced online. Food lovers boast bites of creamy seafood toppings on a bed of sticky, Japanese rice, blow-torched to perfection and served in rectangular cuts of seaweed wrap. It's a gastronomic sensation that's quickly gone viral. Why not join the bandwagon and try recreating this social media masterpiece at home? These quick and easy recipes are guaranteed to please—no blow-torch necessary.
Classic Sushi Bake
3 cups cooked sushi rice
1 pound of crab meat (can replace this with cooked shrimp or sauteed scallops)
1 pound of crab sticks, chopped
1 cup of Japanese mayonnaise
2 stalks of green onions, chopped thinly
2 tbsp tobikko or roe (optional)
Wasabi paste or sriracha (optional)
Sheets of seaweed
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix together the crabmeat (or shrimp or scallops), crab sticks, Japanese mayonnaise, green onions, wasabi paste or sriracha, and fish roe. Set aside
3. Meanwhile, press the sushi rice onto a square-shaped pan.
4. Sprinkle furikake onto pressed rice.
5. Spread the crab mixture on top.
6. Sprinkle more furikake on top of this.
7. Place in oven and bake until top is golden brown (about 5-10 minutes).
8. Serve with seaweed.
Spicy Tuna Sushi Bake
2 cans spicy tuna
2 cups sushi rice
4 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
2 tbsp sriracha (adjust to taste)
1 tsp soy sauce
Sesame seeds (optional)
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1. Cook the rice.
2. Prepare the tuna mixture by cooking tuna over medium heat. Add in the sriracha and Japanese mayonnaise to the tuna. Mix it in
3. Add in soy sauce and chilli powder.
4. Drizzle with sesame oil.
5. Mix well and set aside.
6. Spread a layer of cooked Japanese rice onto a square-shaped pan.
7. Add the tuna mix and spread it evenly over the rice.
8. Grate the cheese over the layer of rice and tuna.
9. Sprinkle furikake over this.
10. Drizzle Japanese mayonnaise on top.
11. Add sesame seeds and chilli powder, as desired.
12. Bake this in the oven for at least 5 minutes (or until the cheese melts).
13. Serve with nori sheets.