Christmas 2020: Try This Recipe for Chef Kirk Westaway’s Turkey Breast Wellington
Christmas is just around the corner. And if you’re planning your festive spread at home, executive chef Kirk Westaway of Michelin-starred Jaan by Kirk Westaway and Marks & Spencer have teamed up to create delectable Christmas recipes to complete your celebratory feast.
One of these is the Turkey Breast ‘Wellington’, created with home cooks in mind and made with ingredients you can easily find at any Marks & Spencer store. An inspired take on the classic roasted turkey, the dish comprises succulent boneless British turkey breast that’s coated with perfectly seasoned sausage stuffing as well as thinly sliced Maris Piper potatoes.
- 1 M&S British boneless Oakham turkey breast joint
- 1 packet of Cook With M&S Roast Turkey Seasoning
- 1 pack of M&S Select Farms 6 British Pork Sausages
- 2kg M&S Select Farms Maris Piper Potatoes
- 100g British unsalted butter
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 packet of Plant Kitchen Vegetable Gravy
1. Defrost the turkey breast joint as per the instructions.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C/180 °F fan/gas mark 7.
3. Trim the skin off the turkey breast to leave a clean, neat fillet.
4. Slit the sausages, squeeze out the meat and discard the skins. Spread the meat thinly and evenly on a sheet of baking paper to form a rectangle. Season the turkey generously with Cook with M&S Roast Turkey Seasoning and place in the centre of the sausage meat. Wrap tightly in the sausage meat and ensure there are no holes for juices to escape. Place in the fridge for 45 minutes to firm up.
5. Peel the potatoes and then slice as thin as possible. Spread evenly along a sheet of baking paper so they overlap like fish scales—there should be no gaps. Gently brush the slices with beaten egg to help the overlapping layers stick together.
6. Remove the turkey from the fridge and place in the centre of the potato slices. Using the baking paper to assist, wrap the turkey up in the potato sheet to form a sealed parcel. Wrap the parcel firmly in tin foil, and transfer to the oven for 1 hour.
7. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest. After 30 minutes remove the tin foil and place the turkey wellington on a wire rack on a baking pan. Brush the potatoes with some melted butter and return to the oven for 10 minutes at 220 °C until the potato top becomes crisp and golden. Cut the wellington into portions and serve with a generous helping of gravy.
Printed with permission from Marks & Spencer.
- Images Marks & Spencer